Lucky are those OFWs who found good employers who treat their employees as human. But, the number of OFWs who have encountered misfortune is increasing. Many OFWs were victims of illegal recruitment while others were victims of maltreatment. Others were displaced due to various reasons. The bottom line is that they are forced to go back home and start anew.
But, it’s not easy to start over. Good news for all OFWs who have come back to the Philippines empty-handed. The OWWA or Overseas Workers Welfare Administration has launched a program that aims to help returning OFWs to earn a living in the country.
The program is called as the Balik Pinas! Balik Hanapbuhay! OFW Livelihood Program.
What is it all about?
To know more about the livelihood program offered by OWWA, the best thing to do is to visit the official website of the agency. The Balik Pinas! Balik Hanapbuhay! is a livelihood program offered to returning OFWs.
Qualified OFWs can receive a Php20, 000 cash assistance and given a chance to attend Entrepreneurship Development Training. This livelihood program is a big help for returning OFWs to start a new business without living in the country.
Requirements for Balik Pinas! Balik Hanapbuhay OFW Livelihood Program.
Returning OFWs who qualify for the livelihood program offered by OWWA must prepare the documents required by the agency including the following:
- Visit the nearest OWWA Regional Office
- Log on to the official website of the agency at owwa.gov.ph
- Send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact OWWA landline at (02) 891-7601 to 24, local 5217 or text 0917-8986992 or 0917-5908654
Who qualifies for the Balik Pinas! Balik Hanapbuhay! OFW Livelihood Program
A returning OFW who qualifies for the qualifications listed below can apply for the Livelihood Program.
- OFWs who were relocated due to wars, government’s policy reforms, and political conflicts
- Those who were victims of human trafficking, other untoward situations, and illegal recruitment
- OFWs and Migrant Workers who were relocated in distressed wards due to repatriation
- OWWA members who were previously employed by a foreign employer that has been experiencing financial difficulties caused by economic issues
On the other hand, OFWs who have completed their contracts are not qualified to apply for this program.
Why does the OWWA offer development training for returning OFWs?
The main concept of the Balik Pinas! Balik Hanapbuhay is to teach the OFWs how to make money. It is not practical to give them one-time cash because money easily disappears.
This is the reason why the OWWA decided to conduct trainings about Business Plan Making, Basic Accounting, and Financial Literacy. This will teach the beneficiaries of the program on how to manage the money and sustain the business.
Through this Livelihood Program, qualified OFWs can start a new business and maximize the cash assistance. They can practice the knowledge they have learned from the trainings.
The good thing is that the OWWA consistently monitors the development of the business chosen by the beneficiaries of the program. Beneficiaries commonly choose babuyan, sari-sari store, salons, and manukan as business.
The eligible businesses offered by OWWA to its beneficiaries are:
- Trading or service business
- Rental or construction business
- Franchising business
- Manufacturing or agri and non-agri production
- Transport service
Aside from the livelihood program, The OWWA benefits program also offer other programs such as social benefits, social services and family welfare services, workers welfare assistance program, and education and training assistance.